I made 6 flavors of homemade ice cream for my Mad Hatter’s Tea Party this weekend – if I can get myself together I’ll post more pictures of the food and the recipes shortly. But I had a request for this recipe when I came in to work today, so I’m getting this up on my lunch break. Enjoy!
I’ve made this every summer for 3 years now – the first time, I used green tea drink mix instead of matcha powder and just added extra. The color was much lighter and the flavor milder – using the real stuff is better, even if it’s kind of hard to find. The jar I got was probably enough for 3-4 batches of ice cream.
The recipe makes about 1.5 quarts, I think – I keep forgetting to measure the finished product because we’re in a hurry to get it into the freezer.
Green Tea Ice Cream
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp mirin
- 8 tsp matcha
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pint (2 cups) half & half
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook and stir over low heat, just to melt the sugar and turn into a syrup – about 5 minutes (If you have a candy thermometer and want to be very precise, check if it reaches 230°). Add the mirin, stir thoroughly, and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the warm syrup with the matcha and stir until dissolved. Return concentrate to saucepan and stir until completely blended. Set aside to cool.
- When you are ready to make the ice cream, stir in milk and half & half and mix thoroughly. If the syrup starts to crystallize, don’t reheat it – it will spoil the color. Just put everything in a blender and whip it up to dissolve the sugar again.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze thoroughly.
Yield: 1-2 quart
[tylr-slidr userID=”” groupID=””]http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebarney/tags/tkt061311/[/tylr-slidr]