This is a simple recipe that goes well with soups – the muffins are light and tender with a slight tang from the tomato sauce that also makes them a lovely golden color.
I like to serve these with Cheeseburger soup or other hearty recipes that would be too heavy with some of the scone recipes I like to make with soup. In this case it’s kind of an inversion of serving toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup.
Tomato Rosemary Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 Tbs grated parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease 36 mini muffin cups or 12-18 medium muffin cups; set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350°
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, then scoop a “well” in the center
- In another bowl, combine wet ingredients, then pour into dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. (Lumps are ok, just break them up as you put the batter into the muffin tins).
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Bake mini muffins 15 minutes or medium muffins 20-24 minutes. Cool in muffin cups on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from cups, serve warm.
Hot golden muffins, fresh from the oven:
If the pictures above don’t work for you, find the photos on my flickr stream here.